Latest Newsletter Edition

Watch Out For Common Filing Errors

Every year, many taxpayers may make mistakes on their returns that cause IRS processing delays. Some common errors may also result in paying too much or too little tax. A miscalculation in either direction can be costly, since the IRS may assess penalties for underpayment.

The following mistakes may not change your tax, but they can cause processing problems. The IRS may even withhold your refund until the errors are corrected. Be sure to check for the following:

Missing or Inaccurate Social Security Number (SSN): Even when filing electronically, many people mistype their SSNs and do not catch the error. If the SSN on your return does not match the number on your Social Security card, the IRS may not be able to process your return.

Misspelled Name: Take your time when filling in every blank on your return, even your name. A misspelling or illegible writing can prevent proper processing.

Incorrect Bank Account or Routing Number: Getting your return filed electronically and requesting direct deposit is the fastest way to get your refund, IF you provide accurate information. An error in your banking info can cause big headaches.

Missing Signature: Remember that in most cases, couples filing jointly must both sign their return.

Math Mistakes: Even mathematicians sometimes make errors in simple addition and subtraction, and some of the calculations required for 1040 schedules can be complicated. Thoroughly double-check every bit of math on your return.

Incorrect Filing Status (Single, Married Filing Jointly, etc.): The IRS will not accept a return showing a filing status that you are not eligible to claim. If you qualify for more than one status (for example, filing jointly or separately if you are married), the option you choose may significantly change your tax.

Incorrectly Figuring Credits or Deductions: Once you determine that you qualify for a tax deduction or credit, you must carefully compute the amount that you can claim. Many taxpayers fail to take into account income limitations (including the calculations that must be made if your income falls within a “phase-out” range) and other restrictions. Others claim less than they could, or miss out on deductions and credits entirely by not filing the required forms and schedules.

Expired ITIN: Those who file their IRS returns using individual tax identification numbers (ITINs) must keep in mind that ITINs periodically expire. Although a return filed with an expired ITIN may be accepted, the IRS generally will not allow any of the exemptions or tax credits claimed. The taxpayer must renew their ITIN in order to obtain the full refund that they are owed.

To avoid costly mistakes, a tax professional can help prepare or check your return and file it electronically. A tax pro might also help you claim deductions and credits that you would otherwise miss.


Greber Tax Advisors does not warrant the accuracy of the information contained herein, nor is it responsible for any errors or omissions and assumes no liability for its use.  The information provided is not intended to be construed as a substitute for obtaining proper expert advice from recognized professionals in their related fields.  Links to third-party websites are provided as a courtesy. The materials on third-party sites are provided “as is” and without warranties of any kind either express or implied.  Greber Tax Advisors exercises no control over the views, accuracy, copyright or trademark compliance or the legality of the material contained on third party sites and does not sponsor, endorse or approve the information, content, products, materials, opinions or services contained on such external sites.  The visitor proceeds to these external sites at their own risk.  Greber Tax Advisors disclaims any and all liability from damages which may result from the accessing this website, or that of a third party site which is linked to the Greber Tax Advisors website, or from reliance upon any and all information contained therein.